Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Quick Write: Short-Practicum - Memorable Story

My sponsor teacher had dressed up as a navy officer for Hallowe'en and I had dressed up as a soldier. I swear it wasn't on purpose. The students all thought it was funny even though it was a little intimidating for them to have two 'officers' for teachers. Both my sponsor teacher and I volunteered to chaperone the high school dance and we looked like quite the pair. We were marching up and down the halls, guarding doors and looking tough. Well, then the fire alarm went off and we sprung into action like a pair of veterans. Hurrying toward the sound of distress! It turns out that the fog machine for the dance had been left on too long and the smoke alarm had been triggered. As the students began to file out into the sprinkling of rain upon the damp courtyard, the teachers stood in the doorway, huddled against the cold and watching the kids. All but my sponsor teacher and I who began marshalling students and warning them not to stray too far. Like sheep dogs we paced the perimeter, barking orders at stray students and keeping them safe. It was at this point that I realized my sponsor teacher was getting into character. He paced up and down the courtyard with his hands clasped behind his back. The street lamp casting him in shadow as he glared gloomily at the frolicking students. Finally, the alarm was turned off and we marched the students back into the building, stoically returning them to safety. It was quite an amusing sight. But we were a hit with the students and I think it made a great impression that will last with them until I see them in the long-practicum. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment