Saturday, October 3, 2009

Response to Timed-write 2

Well, I wrote this timed-write really fast, so I'm not sure how accurately it portrays my feelings. But I do know that it sheds some light on what I think about my future students and what my future performance might look like. A lot of what I wrote is stuff that I've already been thinking about and trying to problem solve. I sit on the bus dreaming up ways to approach topics with kids and how to best teach difficult concepts. Some of my ideas are way out there and that's why it was easy to write a positive and negative 3rd person perspective.

With the positive perspective, hypothetically written by a former student, I wrote it in much the same style that I might have written an actual letter to my former teacher. I admired many of his attitudes on the subject of learning math and I hope to embody some of those same teaching styles. Whether a student ever realizes the quality of my instruction is immaterial, so long as they receive the benefit from a well-suited instruction and curriculum.

With the negative perspective, again written by an imaginary former student, I try to shed light on some of my fears as a new teacher. I can imagine some of my creative teaching methods as being counter-productive, confusing or only benefiting a small portion of the class. So, I'm still struggling to find the right idea, or a least a good working-idea of what an effective (interactive) teaching approach is. Plus, this negative perspective mirrors some of the comments in the positive perspective and attempts to reveal that there can often be goods and bads to any approach. There will sometimes be disparity amongst students as to who really benefits from my teaching.

So, as you can see, my focus continues to be to find an effective and interactive teaching style. I like the picture I portrayed in the positive perspective and I'm going to try to find one-on-one strategies to avoid the picture I portrayed in the negative perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment