Friday, October 2, 2009

Timed Write - 10 Years From Now

This is a futuristic scenario regarding me as a teacher 10 years from now. At this point, I've been teaching for 10 years and have had an opportunity to teach around 2000 students. The text below describes two students. To the first student, I am their favourite teacher, and to the second student, I am a failure. At this time, it will be 2019 and I'll be 31.

Student #1:

Mr. Collins is my favourite teacher this year. ...and probably ever. I love coming to his classes because he always keeps me interested in what I'm learning and makes things fun. I have to think pretty hard because he poses lots of problems, but at least I know he'll give me the answer in the end if I can't figure it out myself. But most times I can, because Mr. Collins always shows us the 'why' behind math. I'm not the best student in the class, but I still get a chance to contribute and he always has time to hear what I have to say in class. I've chatted with him after class a couple times. Once 'cause I had to ask to extend a due date on one of my math assignments (although I'd finished most of it), but the others were to ask other questions about the concepts we were learning and to show him some of my ideas. I think our class is going to do really well on the provincial this year. And not just me, but all the kids will do well. Sometimes I feel it like a race to the answer, because when he poses the problem, we all know how to approach it. Mr. Collins would make a good professor one day and it'd be cool if he could be my professor in university. The only thing would be that he wouldn't look like a professor, because he's really young.

Student #2:

Mr. Collins is the worst teacher I have this year, but unfortunately, I have no choice 'cause he's the only teacher for our grade. I hate the fact that he always goes on these long-winded speeches about stuff that isn't even important. Sometimes I feel like he forgets we're even there! Plus, he always makes us feel stupid. He makes these ridiculously hard problems and then expects everyone to get them, even though there are only a couple people in the class that are actually passing!! Basically, if you want to pass this course, you have to put in extra time and ask questions outside of class. And I don't have that kinda time. I just want to be able to learn while in the class. Plus, I'm not really interested in all the extra stuff, stuff that isn't part of the textbook. He's just adding more work on top of the work we do out of the textbook and it's not even relevant.

He has questions about spaceships and stuff that's in the future and I don't get why it's so important. Also, Mr. Collins makes us get up in front of the class and solve problems on the board. Like, what's his deal? I don't have the answer, that why I'm learning!! Yet, we have to go up their by ourselves. Sure, the class is allowed to help a bit, but I don't get to go back to my seat until I've put something on the board. Whatever, once I fail, I'll just move on. I won't have him for another course again, 'cause I'll check ahead of time, or else just drop out if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment