Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reflection on MAED 314 in-class video

The video presented in class today was a real eye-opener. The grade 8 instruction felt like it was going at a snail pace and it made me remember how much different their learning is. Their speed, approach and objectives are so completetely different and it is something that I'm going to have to refamiliarize myself with if I'm going to be an effective teacher in their class. I can't go at my speed, or even close, or I will lose them for sure.

Some of our classmates commented on the slow presentation as boring, but that is just our minds adjusting to this style. We are used to fast paced information, and no time for repetition and practice. In my opinion, this was a great speed to teach at! The students certainly didn't seem bored! In fact, those students seemed completely absorbed in the process. The teacher was teaching to the slowest student and making sure everyone was on board. I was very impressed with that. In the space of 20min, he had successfully introduced the concept of algebra in an interactive, engaging and relational way. He had given the students the skills to perform algebra slowly and incrementally so that they all got it. He made the knowledge linear and broke it into small enough pieces.

I am very impressed. I plan on using some of his approaches in introducing concepts to my students in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment