Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lesson Plan Sep. 18th, 2009

Non-math oriented, practice lesson: lesson plan.

The purpose of this lesson and its corresponding lesson plan, is for me to familiarize myself with planning and executing a lesson. I've chosen to do a lesson on Highland Dancing as I am an Associate Scottish Dance Instructor. I hope that in the brief time I have to present, that I can introduce this unique art form to my 'students' and give them an opportunity to try it themselves.

Bridge: During my introduction, I'm going to have everyone try and point their feet. A simple and essential skill for any dancer. Once they've tried it, I will teach them a couple basic feet positions, to get their feet wet (so to speak).
Teaching Objectives: I plan to share with my students a very brief and overarching introduction to Scottish culture and tradition. This will be followed by a story of how one of the dances was created. I will then try to teach a beginning step of this dance so that at the end of the lesson, they have something to share with others.
Learning Objectives: The students should come away having experienced a glimps into Scottish tradition. They should be able to remember and perform some basic movements or positions, with the knowledge to perform a beginning dance step.
Pre-Test: I'm going to have the students try some basic feet positions and based on those, I can gauge my students interest, focus, skill level and ability to learn new things.
Participatory Activity Ideas: My lesson will center around the demonstration and replication of a beginning dance step that I will perform and model for them. With immediate feedback, I anticipate my students to learn quickly.
Post-Test: The beginning dance step is a short activity to perform. At the end of my lesson, I will ask them to try perform it on their own to see how they did.
Summary: I will thank my students for participating so eagerly in my class and encourage them to seek out more information (from me or otherwise) about Scottish Highland dancing and traditions.

Happy Dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment