Sunday, September 20, 2009

Self Review of Lesson

After I held my lesson on Highland dancing, I read the reviews written by my peers and have taken the time to reflect of the experience. Below are some of my thoughts on how the lesson went and what I thought of my peers' feedback.

Things that went well in the lesson:
  • the students picked up the dance step with relative ease
  • my historical account of the dances was interesting and accurate
  • my demonstration of dancing technique was good
  • my lesson was organized
Things I could improve on:
  • I could have provided them with some literature
  • I could have asked more clarifying questions
  • I shouldn't have taken on so much in such a brief time

What I thought of my peer review:

My peer review was very flattering and also very intriguing. There was some contructive criticism that had never occured to me before, so it was very helpful. I definitely should have done a demonstration of a dance, so that they got a better sense of what they were learning. Of course, this is difficult without music or a costume, but should have been attempted nevertheless. Also, I should have put less emphasis on learning the dance step and spent that time, exploring the subject of dance with them. Lastly, while teaching the step was important so that the participation component of the lesson wasn't lost, I could have provided them with some literature, so that they could have explored learning the steps on their own.

Thank you guys for making this a wonderful learning opportunity for me. If we do an exercise like this again, prepare to have your socks knocked off!

No comments:

Post a Comment